Friday, February 5, 2010

Canned Pickles

I have been doing a food co-op for the last 6 weeks and get lots of fresh veggies/fruit for $15. My friend PJ gave me a recipe for canned pickles since we got cucumbers in our last basket.
I marinated it overnight:
Then I strained the juice and brought it to a boil to make sure the salt was dissolved. Distributed the spears evenly and then the onion/garlic/dill mixture and filled the jars with the vinegar/salt juice. I boiled them for 15 minutes and they all sealed! hehe Yes, that's the best part when you're canning ;)
The recipe says to wait 10 days before tasting . . . so if this post is deleted in 10 days, then you know they turned out disgusting - LoL And if they're yummy, I'll post the recipe =)
Pin It

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Can you explain what a food co-op is? It sounds interesting. I'd like to start a dinner co-op where a group of us spend one day cooking and then share our meals so we each have tasty dinners - but only had to make one and can freeze the rest.

Jonathan and Cheri said...

I added a link to the food co-op phrase - I meant to do that before I posted! Check it out and let me know if you have different questions =) My friends do the dinner co-op thing, they love it - they each take one day of the week and cook 4 meals, they do it Mon-Thur. Then they deliver their meals on the day they cook it.