Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Trunk-n-Treat goodies

We are going to our ward's Trunk-n-Treat and this is what we're giving out:
And I found the idea here http://www.howdoesshe.com/halloween-cookie-suckers which have instructions.

And a few of my own tips if you decide you want to make some too.
I used almond bark because it's tasty and cheap! For 6 blocks or 12 oz of almond bark I added 1 tbsp shortening (I only had butter flavored and it yellowed the almond bark only slightly) - cannot substitute for oil or anything else - so the candy was easy to dip, and you didn't have to rush as much for fear the candy would harden, as well as make the candy a little thinner for spreading the lines across the face through a frosting tip. Use frosting tip 44 that is a thin rectangle.
For 12 oz of almond bark it covered 24 oreos (I only melted 12 oz at a time because that was doable for me ;) I dipped all 24 oreos and then placed the eyes. After that dried (it takes about 30 minutes for it to dry completely), I did the mummy wrapping.
I did buy my edible eyes at http://www.sweetbakingsupply.com/royal-icing-eyes-inch-white-p-1597.html which are disgusting to the taste, but I was going for the cute factor. I really, really wanted the pink eyes, but they were out of stock when I bought mine =(
I made these ghosts out of Nutter Butters for my lesson last Sunday about the Holy Ghost:
And only 100 more mummies to go before Saturday night:
I am thinking about making a 4x4 block to hold them too . . . but on top of making my costume pants, making homemade chili for the cook-off and cornbread - both for the dinner before Trunk-n-Treat . . . oh yeah, and then there's crafting a few projects for a Super Saturday which visuals need to be up by Sunday . . . I'll have to see just how much more I can squeeze out!
Pin It

1 comment:

McBrides said...

I was wondering who made the cute lollipops... You've been a busy woman! Great job!