Friday, February 19, 2010

Pickle Recipe

The pickles I canned at the beginning of this month are awesome - go ahead and try it yourself, the recipe is easy and the process is fairly quick!
15 small pickling cucumbers
40 fresh dill sprigs
2 large onions, sliced
10 garlic cloves, sliced
1 qt water
1 qt white vinegar
1 cup canning salt (do not substitute)

Cut each cucumber lengthwise into 4 spears. In a large ziplock bag, combine the cucumbers, dill, onions and garlic; set aside. In a saucepan combine the water, vinegar and salt and bring to a boil stirring just until the salt is dissolved. Let it cool and then pour over cucumber mixture and let sit overnight in fridge.

Next day, divide cucumbers evenly into 4 jars and then divide up onion mixture into jars evenly and pour juice until jars are full (you will have left over juice). Steam bathe (bath?) them for 15 minutes. Place in cool area or fridge for 10 days. Keeps good for 3 months.

I'll make these again =) I thought they looked a little wilted to me when I first opened them, but they're crisp - yea!
Pin It

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am always looking for great young women activities and handout ideas, and I am so glad I found your blog. You are very creative and put a lot of thought into everything. I cannot seem to find instructions on how to make the paper beads -(from previous posts.) Would you mind emailing me? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks so much!
denisevbuck@hotmail.com